Sunday, May 06, 2007

2007 Milblog Conference

It started with a meeting at the Carpool in Arlington, Virginia... just down the street from the Westin Hotel, where the Conference took place.

Happy hour was awesome. I met a ton of people and should have taken notes. The funny thing was that Blackfive was the only person that I would recognize from his face time on CNN. So I hooked up with Teresa as we searched for fellow milbloggers, and then we hung out till Matt showed up. I met people from The Weekly Standard, ThreatsWatch (hey Mike), Wired Magazine (Noah... cool cat), Buckethead, lots of Soldiers Angels (donate now), Andi from Andi's World, Jim Thompson (Sgt. Hook), John Noonan (OPFOR), Sean and "pink-haired-wife" from Doc in the Box, ArmyWifeToddlerMom (who is a force of nature, BTW), and of course Blackfive. I have to leave my last shout-out to Squirrel Lurker, Rich Lowe. Rich was the only person who I didn't know and had read my crapblog. He was a great guy and I only wish that I had more time to spend with him. He has actually motivated me to tell more stories and throw some Squirrel Spin on things. Thanks Rich... you can still lurk, but I hope that you don't (please send me an email). There are tons of others, but the beer has ruined that part of my memory.

We drank too much and I had to disappear a bit for some work stuff, but I rejoined the group at the Westin for the "formal" party. Of course, I had come from the range and looked like the proto-typical doorkicker in utilities pants and khaki ballcap. Ah well, at least I got to attend. I had some more drinks (I still owe Noah a cold one for saving a cashless Squirrel) and must have looked pretty scary. I talked to Mary Katherine Ham for a moment and she couldn't seem to get away fast enough. Nice woman, but clearly squirrly about the Squirrel. LOL! Too much fun.

Anyway, I managed to sneak out at some point, only to have Buckethead yell at me from a balcony. Thanks. Thanks for pointing out my weak exit. Ah well, at least he didn't think I was a zombie as I shambled back to Carpool (where my damned Visa sits to this minute).

Great success. I got to have some milblogger time and still had the weekend with the family (which was awesome)! Now I get to go back and see what happened by reading everyone else's blogs. Nice.

Labels: