Saturday, February 24, 2007

Political Nostalgia

I have been unable to watch the news recently. As I have mentioned before, the recklessness of the Congress and Senate (particularly in the defeatist rhetoric on the war) weighs heavily on many a veteran. The list of outrages is long... unchecked illegal immigration, talk of increasing taxes, uncontrolled spending, etc. So, I occasionally turn on Fox News to find... non-stop coverage of Anna Nicole Smith. You've got to be freakin' kidding me. Meanwhile, all the REAL news from Iraq (that I get from close friends) is stunningly positive. The "surge" is already working. Violence is decreasing, Baghdad is quieting, Al-Sadr has fled to Iran, etc. Didn't know about that? Don't be surprised that you won't get any of this from the MSM.

Where will we turn for leadership? Where are the true believers?

I don't know.

Not helpful to this question, but I long for the "old days." President Ronald Wilson Reagan. This is a man who I closely identify with my maternal grandfather. Both were truly good men with solid mores and stalwart hearts. I am not worthy of being in my grandfather's bloodline. I endeavor to live up to his example. Mea Culpa. Mea Maxima Culpa.

While there doesn't appear to be a man who is great like President Reagan, we are fortunate to have his logic, love of man, and thoughtful words to encourage and motivate us. If you have some time (say a half-hour), here is Mr. Reagan giving a speech in 1964. Replace references to Communism with Militant Islam and it is as relevant today, over forty years later. 24 minutes into the speech, is an excellent piece on surrender. Absolutely amazing. Also, reflect on the fact that you never hear this sort of persuasive speech in today's times. Any conservative who may try to give a speech of this length would be shouted down by a leftist protestor. Debate is not allowed by the Left. Free speech and the First Amendment is only defended if it aligns with leftist ideals. Interesting how conservatives politely allow liberals to talk their heads off and it is rarely reciprocated. Depressing and rage inducing.

This sort of speech simply isn't given to a wide audience nowadays. The patients have taken over the madhouse. Idiocracy reigns, and the Left is largely to blame. Thanks, dicks.

Labels: