Sunday, November 05, 2006

F* The Army Times

As I’m sure most of you have heard, the Army Times (and the Navy, MC, and AF Times) have published an editorial calling for Secretary Rumsfeld to step down. I would like to point out that these are not “professional military publications.” Examples of military professional publications include a plethora of journals and magazines such as “Infantry”, “Soldier”, and “Inside the Navy.” Instead, these weekly periodicals are published by the Gannet Corporation, better known for publishing USA Today.

I have been a subscriber of the Army Times for years, but let it lapse earlier this year because I could get better, less biased information from sites like military.com. For example, they run a little blurb called “How Others See the Military” and put in an often disparaging cartoon. I wrote dozens of times to point out that I get that viewpoint from EVERY OTHER media outlet and didn’t appreciate the ‘help’… and never received a response.

I am not a fan of Secretary Rumsfeld and have never been. My opinion is based on (too much) personal interaction with the Secretary and his staff and is my own. It is a really hard job and I would never want it. That being said, to have the military times periodicals publish such a hit job right before the election smacks of dirty pool. Your average American doesn’t know that these papers don’t speak for the military. What a bunch of shitbirds.