1) Your mind is the most important muscle in your body, you need to work it regularly. More than nearly any other experience, reading is an excellent workout.
2) I read one chapter in the Bible every morning while downing my pre-gym yogurt. I manage to get through the Bible every couple years.
3) I alternate my reading. That is, I alternate reading a book for fun and something that I consider self-improvement. Sometimes they are the same book, but not usually.
4) Use the library whenever possible. Why? I have dozens of totes full of books that I need to sell on ebay. Even though I have read every single book multiple times, it just adds clutter to the Squirrel's Nest.
5) If you do buy, go to half.com and get it cheap!
So, what have I read recently? Okay, don't laugh... I take about a week to read a regular book. So September looked like this:
Week 1 - "To the Last Man" by Jeff Sharra
Week 2 - "Winning" by Jack Welch
Week 3 - "Home of the Brave" by Caspar Weinberger
Week 4 - "The Compleat Strategyst" by J.D. Williams (ugh)
And October is shaping up like this:
Week 1 - "A Testament to Freedom: The Essential Writings of Dietrich Bonhoeffer" by Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Week 2 - "Never Eat Alone: And Other Secrets To Success, One Relationship At A Time" by Keith Ferrazzi
Week 3 - "Fiasco" by Thomas Ricks (heard that it was painful, but accurate)
Week 4 - TBD
What are you reading now? How is it going?