Wednesday, October 11, 2006

I Heart Economics

I know, I know. Squirrel, you are one sick puppy… nobody loves economics. Well, not true. As many of you know, I actually did economics with a large group of bright-eyed and bushy-tailed students at one of the only free-market econ departments in the United States, George Mason University. While we had a small share of extreme libertarians (which I get on with fairly well) and anarchists (which I don’t), it was mainly an exceptional education from such noted scholars as Dr. Walter Williams, Dr. John Buchanan, Dr. Gordon Tullock, and Dr. Vernon Smith.

I didn’t get to it yesterday, but the newest American Nobel Laureate in Economics hails from Columbia University (which I generally despise). He, however, has done excellent work in some of the smaller spheres (political economy) on economics. He wrote an article that was published yesterday in the Wall Street Journal. While a bit heavy, it is nonetheless important to note that he comes out wildly in favor of capitalism.

I'm sorry to say that I'm pretty damned excited to be reading about political economy again... sick.