Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Great Story

So I was perusing Michael Yon's website. I've never met him and I really don't know anybody who knows him (yet... remember Six Degrees). I love his writing and sense of adventure. I like him because he is... me... and all other Green Berets. Anyway, he linked to a Washington Times (one of only a couple papers worth reading) reporter, Ms. Maya Alleruzzo, that he really respects. I found her story about an Iraqi Captain extremely compelling:
Capt. Furat's eyes scan the Atlanta traffic outside his ambulance, a survival instinct that served him well during his nine years as a soldier, first in Saddam's army, and then in the post-invasion creation.

"You are safe now," says Deborah Revis, 50, Shepherd's vice president of clinical services, as she holds his hand the entire 30-minute ride. "We will take good care of you here."

When he emerges from the ambulance, he is greeted by some of his American friends from Iraq.

"It took a long time, but we were able to do it," says Lt. Col. Roger Cloutier, one of four officers who step forward to embrace him. They came to know and love Capt. Furat as he worked alongside the U.S. Army's 1st Battalion, 30th Infantry Regiment.

"Thank you very much, sir. My mom is very happy," Capt. Furat responds, managing a smile after an exhausting three-day journey from Balad to Georgia.
How are we (the human race) so fortunate to have men such as these?!? Please read the whole article.