Tuesday, November 29, 2005

More Work

I have mentioned it before, but I grew up on a farm in Iowa. We were poor, but I didn’t know it until I went to middle school and had plenty of town kids point it out to me. I was a bit surprised, but was only driven to excel. I joined the Army at a very young age and once I got off active duty (10 years), I went to college. I really don’t remember not struggling to make ends meet. It didn’t seem overly burdensome, except for the personal debt that I wracked up finishing school. In any case, I think that having that background has always made me profoundly grateful to have work and the money that it brings. I do very well now and am somewhat amazed to report that I sleep better now than I remember doing in the past. Other than a mortgage, Sexy and I are essentially debt free and happy. I have reflected on it lately because an old friend called me and asked me to come on board with his company for some part-time work. I don’t really need the work (I don’t seem to have enough time to do stuff as it is), so I threw out an ridiculous hourly sum for my time. He readily agreed and so now I’ve added 12-16 hours to my workweek. While Sexy is a little perturbed, I am happy to have the additional income. What a strange journey I’ve had over the years.