Wednesday, October 05, 2005

Miers Nomination

Alright, so I'm not an expert at anything (as my readership knows), but I always think about stuff. Anyway, seems like lots of folks have opinions about the Harriet Miers nomination. I don't really know about her, but it seems like when we the people provided him with a victory, the House, and the Senate, he should be setting his sights on a Robert Bork. More significantly, I have expended a significant amount of energy and human capital in defending our CINC... even when it seemed absurd to do so. So, I'd like to quote my favorite President from his acceptance of the Republican nomination for President on July 17, 1980.
We need a rebirth of the American tradition of leadership at every level of government and in private life as well. The United States of America is unique in world history because it has a genius for leaders - many leaders - on many levels. But back in 1976, Mr. Carter said, "Trust me." And a lot of people did. And now, many of those people are out of work. Many have seen their savings eaten away by inflation. Many others on fixed incomes, especially the elderly, have watched helplessly as the cruel tax of inflation wasted away their purchasing power. And, today, a great many who trusted Mr. Carter wonder if we can survive the Carter policies of national defense.

"Trust me" government asks that we concentrate our hopes and dreams on one man; that we trust him to do what's best for us. But my view of government places trust not in one person or one party, but in those values that transcend persons and parties. The trust is where it belongs-in the people. The responsibility to live up to that trust is where it belongs, in their elected leaders. That kind of relationship, between the people and their elected leaders, is a special kind of compact.

Three-hundred-and-sixty years ago, in 1620, a group of families dared to cross a mighty ocean to build a future for themselves in a new world. When they arrived at Plymouth, Massachusetts, they formed what they called a "compact," an agreement among themselves to build a community and abide by its laws.

This single act - the voluntary binding together of free people to live under the law - set the pattern for what was to come.


As a fiscal and social conservative, I guess that I feel like GW has consistently asked me to trust him, and now I'm starting to wonder if I've been acting a bit the fool.

Another thought: This open letter by Dan Flynn kind of encapsulates my feelings about all of this.